1990-01-19 Pune, India / Never Born – Never Died / Nie Geboren – Nie Gestorben / Nunca Nascido – Nunca Morri / Nunca Nacido – Nunca Muerto

By 0 , Permalink

Every Human is a Buddha with the capacity for enlightenment, capable of unconditional Love and of responding rather than reacting to life, although the Ego usually prevents this, identifying with social conditioning and creating false needs and conflicts and an illusory sense of identity that is nothing but a barrier of dreams.

Osho’s teachings, delivered through his discourses, were not presented in an academic setting, but interspersed with jokes. The emphasis was not static but changed over time: Osho revelled in paradox and contradiction, making his work difficult to summarise.

Osho delighted in engaging in behaviour that seemed entirely at odds with traditional images of enlightened individuals; his early lectures were famous for their humor and their refusal to take anything seriously.

All such behaviour, however capricious and difficult to accept, was explained as a technique for transformation to push people beyond the mind.

Ignorance: Fucked if I know.

Trouble: I guess I am fucked now!

Fraud: I got fucked at the used car lot.

Aggression: Fuck you!

Displeasure: What the fuck is going on here?

Difficulty: I can’t understand this fucking job.

Incompetence: He is a fuck-off.

Suspicion: What the fuck are you doing?

Enjoyment: I had a fucking good time.

Request: Get the fuck out of here.

Hostility: I am going to knock your fucking head off.

Greeting: How the fuck are you?

Apathy: Who gives a fuck?

Innovation: Get a bigger fucking hammer.

Surprise: Fuck! You scared the shit out of me!

Anxiety: Today is really fucked.

During his lifetime Rajneesh was viewed as a controversial new religious movement leader and mystic. In the 1960’s he traveled throughout India as a public speaker and was a vocal critic of socialism.

In 1970, Rajneesh spent time in Mumbai initiating followers known as neo-sannyasins. In 1974, Rajneesh relocated to Poona, where an ashram was established.

In 1981, the Rajneesh movement’s efforts refocused on activities in the US and Rajneesh relocated to a facility known as Rajneeshpuram in Wasco County, Oregon.

Almost immediately the movement ran into conflict with county residents and the state government. In 1985, in the wake of a series of serious crimes by his followers, he was later deported from the US. 21 countries denied him entry.

Following his exit from the US, Rajneesh returned to India, landing in Delhi on 17th November 1985. He was given a hero’s welcome by his disciples and denounced the US. He stayed for six weeks in Manali, Himachal Pradesh.

When non-Indians in his party had their visas revoked, he moved on to Kathmandu, Nepal, and then, a few weeks later, to Crete. Arrested after a few days by the Greek National Intelligence Service (KYP), he flew to Geneva, then to Stockholm and London, but was in each case refused entry.

Next Canada refused landing permission, so his plane returned to Shannon airport, Ireland, to refuel. There he was allowed to stay for two weeks at a hotel in Limerick, on condition that he did not go out or give talks.

He had been granted a Uruguayan identity card, one-year provisional residency and a possibility of permanent residency, so the party set out, stopping at Madrid, where the plane was surrounded by the Guardia Civil.

He was allowed to spend one night at Dakar, then continued to Recife and Montevideo. In Uruguay, the group moved to a house at Punta del Este where Rajneesh began speaking publicly until 19th June, after which he was invited to leave for no official reason.

A two-week visa was arranged for Jamaica, but on arrival in Kingston police gave the group 12 hours to leave. Refuelling in Gander and in Madrid, Rajneesh returned to Bombay, India, on 30th July 1986.

In January 1987, Rajneesh returned to the ashram in Pune where he held discourses each day, except when interrupted by intermittent ill health. In November 1987, Rajneesh expressed his belief that his deteriorating health was due to poisoning by the US authorities while in prison.

From 1988, Rajneesh’s discourses focused exclusively on Zen. In February 1989 took the name ‘Osho Rajneesh’, shortened to ‘Osho’ in September. His health continued to weaken. He delivered his last public discourse in April 1989, from then on simply sitting in silence with his followers.

Rajneesh died on 19th January 1990, aged 58, at the ashram in Pune, India. The official cause of death was heart failure, but a statement released by his commune said that he had died because ‘living in the body had become a hell’ after alleged poisoning in US jails.

His ashes were placed in his newly built bedroom in Lao Tzu House at the ashram in Pune. The epitaph reads, ‘OSHO / Never Born / Never Died / Only Visited this Planet Earth between / Dec 11 1931 – Jan 19 1990’.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *